The new school year has officially begun!! The faculty, staff, and I had our Orientation meeting Thursday morning as we prepare to welcome you to the 2015-16 school year.
Today we welcomed our youngest students to the Falcon’s Nest as they came to meet and greet their teachers. It is a rite of passage just as it will be in June when we graduate our 8th grade class. We look forward to welcoming so many more families and students on Monday and Tuesday next week.
Monday, Aug. 24th, 5:30 p.m., Cafeteria – Orientation Meeting PreK
Tuesday, Aug. 25th, Open House(Meet and Greet Teachers and Staff)
4-6:30 p.m., Lower School, Tileston Center and Gym
- Parent/Student Meeting in Basilica, 5:30 p.m. – Kindergarten and New Families
- Booster Club and Home and School Association will be at tables in both buildings to greet you.
- Mrs. Amy Preusser, Basilica Youth Group Director, will be in the Youth Group Room on first floor of Tileston, straight down hallway from main entrance. All Catholic 8th graders should stop by to see her regarding Confirmation. All 6th -8th graders interested in joining Youth Group should also stop to see her.
- Music and Art Teachers – Mr. Barber, Mr. Purcell, and Dr. Spencer will be in the first floor hallway to greet you and give information.
- Violinists – Stop by to see Dr. Spencer to be measured for violins and for any further information.
- The “Gently Used Uniform Shop” will be open on Tuesday, 4-6:30 in the Cafeteria.
It is my pleasure to introduce the latest new faculty and staff members of our team.
Mrs. Heather Lowery – 2nd Kindergarten Teacher
Mrs. Lowery has worked in many capacities in our school. She has been our Title I Resource Teacher, 6th grade teacher, teacher assistant.
Mrs. Lowery has a Master’s degree in Special Education and Reading Specialist.
Mrs. Cathy O’Connell – 1st grade teacher
Mrs. O’Connell has a Master’s Degree in English and is licensed in Elem. Ed., Middle Grades Language Arts, Special Education, and Gifted and Talented Certification. At St. Mary’s she has taught 3rd grade and has been a teacher assistant.
Mr. Thomas Hogan – Technology Director/Educator
Mr. Hogan has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education. He has taught high school in New Hanover County where he was awarded “Teacher of the Year”. He then became technology facilitator for New Hanover County Schools, Central Office. He went on to work for NCDPI providing technology support statewide.
Ms. Rosemary Jordan – Middle School Spanish
Ms. Jordan holds a NC License for Teaching Spanish. She is returning to St. Mary’s after teaching at Laney High School for 12 years.
Dr. Clark Spencer – Suzuki Violin Teacher
Dr. Spencer has earned a PhD in Viola Performance and holds credentials as a Suzuki Violin Teacher.
Ms. Yvonne Lewis – Guidance Counselor
Ms. Lewis is employed by the Diocese of Raleigh in our local Catholic Charities office. During her career, she has been a school counselor. She has a BA in English and History. She also has an MA
Ms. Andrea Belletti – ESL Support
Ms. Belletti has been the head of ESL for New Hanover County Schools for the past 10 years. She is National Board Certified in ENL/EAYA. She will be available to us as a volunteer during the school year.
Please join me in welcoming these dedicated professionals to our team.